Placement Testing and Prerequisites
In the Foreign Languages Dept, there are NO PREREQUISITES for the following types of courses:
- Entry level courses that assume no previous background or study, such as Spanish 1, 1A, or 10A.
- Conversation courses in any language; 10A, B, C, D,E ; 12A,B,C ; 11A,11B ; 14A, 14B, 14C ; 15A, 15B, 16A, 16B
NOTE: Many courses do have advisories (recommended preparation). Please check the college catalogue for information.
ALSO NOTE: If you are only taking a language class, you may opt out of requirements followed by regular students (English and Math placement testing; meeting with a counselor). Fill out the SSSP Exemption form at right.
The Foreign Languages Department Eligibility Coordinator is Isabelle Motamedi. You may email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office Hours: Arts 304
- Mondays, 1-4 p.m.
- Wednesdays, 11a.m. -2 p.m.
- Thursdays, 12:30-2:30 p.m.
Beginning with registration for the Spring 2016 semester, there will be changes with registration in all languages for courses that have prerequisites. If you have acquired the prerequisite skills outside of CCSF, your registration in a higher level course will be blocked. You must challenge the prerequisite. There are two ways to do this:
- Produce a transcript (an unofficial transcript is okay) from another college with the equivalent course OR
- Take the Placement Test, available online for most languages.
NOTE: The Placement Test results are NOT processed automatically.
You must print them out or save as a PDF and submit to
Matriculation or the FL Eligibility Coordinator.
Please choose the appropriate language to learn what to do for your language.