The CCSF Language Lab Requirement
Most of our classes have a language lab requirement; one additional hour per week for 3-unit courses, and two additional hours per week for 5-units.
This lab requirement can be met by accessing our online lab, through CCSF's course management system, Insight (powered by Moodle). This online lab (MyLanguageLab) and the activities provided by your instructor create a space through which you will interact with your instructor and classmates.
Log in to Insight here: http://insight.ccsf.edu
Your instructors are experts in their discipline. However, you can find experts to help you with the technical aspects of the lab at the Language Center (Rosenberg Library, room 403) and at the Online Course Center: http://onlinecoursesupport.com/ccsf .
Much more information can be found at the Language Center (R-403) and on the Language Center website: http://www.ccsf.edu/langlab
You can find helpful handouts and an introductory video from the Ed Tech Department here: https://sites.google.com/a/mail.ccsf.edu/etd-student-help/
Photo by Walter Parenteau: Creative Commons License
These resources are to help with the most frequently asked questions concering your Insight lab shell. For answers to your other questions, fill out a Faculty Help Ticket: email@example.com.
(1) Your course shell is empty. Follow the instructions on the "import content" handout to roll over content from a previous semester or the MyLanguageLab template. You may also watch Nathan's video: https://youtu.be/uKWUTTvn1Ts
(2) Your students can't see your Insight course. You can see it in MyCourses, but it is grey, not red. Follow these instructions to show your course so it is available to students.
(3) Because there is a new version of Insight (summer 2015, Moodle 2.7) we need to enable the checkboxes so student posts and replies are accounted for automatically. Please follow these instructions.
(4) Will a Lab Monitor or another teacher of your language be assisting you with your online lab component? Follow these instructions to add them to your course.
(5) When you log in to your course you see that the number of weeks is incorrect. Follow these instructions to reset the number of weeks for the coming semester.
(6) Use the Whiteboard in an Insight Forum: This handout shows you how to use the "whiteboard" in an Insight Forum. Whiteboard instructions
(7) Here is the handout from our trainings in Spring and Fall 2014. Includes basic info and teh 5 essential tasks of using the online lab component. Note: screenshots are from a previous version of Insight. See the updated handouts above for more current information.