IGETC Foreign Language Proficiency

What is IGETC? 

This general information is for your convenience. Be sure to contact a counselor for details!

The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) is a series of courses that prospective transfer students attending California community colleges may complete to satisfy the lower-division breadth/general education requirements at the University of California.  

Students with a post-secondary school record who wish to pursue IGETC must meet the definition of California community college transfer applicants. They must:

  • Have been enrolled at one or more California community colleges for at least two terms (excluding summer sessions)
  • Have attended, immediately before admission to a UC campus, a California community college (excluding summer sessions)
  • Complete at least 30 semester (45 quarter) UC-transferable units at one or more California community colleges.  Click here for more information from the UC system.

Area 6 (UC only)

Proficiency in a Language Other than English (LOTE)

Students may demonstrate proficiency for the purpose of fulfilling the Language Other Than English IGETC requirement in one of the following ways:

  • Two years of U.S. high school studied in one foreign language C with a grade of C or better.
  • SAT:
    • Chinese – 520
    • French – 540
    • German – 510
    • Hebrew (Modern) – 470
    • Italian – 520
    • Japanese – 510
    • Korean – 500
    • Latin – 530
    • Spanish – 520
  • AP Score
    • Score of 3 = Foreign Language 1
    • Score of 4 = Foreign Language 2
    • Score of 5 = Foreign Language 3
  • HSK Proficiency Test (Chinese)
    • Intermediate Level 4/5/6
  • Complete, with grades of C or better, two years of formal schooling at the foreign countries sixth-grade level or higher in an institution where the language of instruction is not English.
  • Foreign countries high school diploma: If secondary school was completed in a non-English-speaking country and the language of instruction of the secondary school was not English, language other than English proficiency can be certified for IGETC without further evaluation. The student must present appropriate documentation of attendance at the secondary school.