How To Enroll In Credit Classes


City College has an open admissions policy. You are eligible to attend if you meet at least one of the following requirements:
• You will be 18-years-old as of the first day of instruction, or
• You are a high school graduate, or
• You are the equivalent of a high school graduate (you have passed the GED    or a state’s high school proficiency examination).

NOTE: The above requirements are general; other factors may determine if you are eligible.

NOTE: Prospective students should apply for admission as soon as possible to complete the matriculation process and maintain the best chance of enrolling in preferred classes. Apply for admission online here.


All new students must establish themselves as residents or non-residents of California. A student must be a U.S. citizen or possess an immigration status that allows for the establishing of residency. Residency is the physical presence in California (one year and one day prior to the first day of instruction) and evidence of intent to make California your permanent home. Evidence of intent could include at least two of the following: voting in California elections, paying state income tax, obtaining a California driver’s license, registering a motor vehicle, maintaining continuous residence in California. Acts of intent must be accomplished for one year.  For more information on Residency, click here.

NOTE: These requirements are general; other factors apply to individuals who have entered the U.S. with a particular visa type. Information regarding the different visa types and their limitations is available in the Residency Department, Conlan Hall E107, (415) 239-3287, or email


Residents of other countries may apply for admission as F-1 Students through the Foreign Student Program. The U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services does not allow international students with B-1 or B-2 visas to apply at U.S. community colleges.

For additional information, please click here.


It is the policy of the college to ensure equal educational opportunity for all students. Matriculation at CCSF is a process which assists students in developing and realizing their educational goals. All credit students, unless exempt, are required to participate in the matriculation process.


Each matriculated student is entitled to:
1. Participate in the development of a Student Educational Plan,
2. Challenge any prerequisite based on the criteria outlined in the CCSF Prerequisite / Co-requisite Challenge            Process below,
3. Review the California Community Colleges Matriculation regulations and exemption criteria approved by the         Board of Trustees of City College of San Francisco, and
4. File an appeal with the Director of Student Advocacy Rights and Responsibilities if he/she feels that he/she has     not been given the opportunity to receive the necessary matriculation service.

Each matriculated student is expected to:
1.    Declare an educational goal following the completion of 15 semester units,
2.    Attend classes regularly and complete assigned course work,
3.    Participate in the development of a Student Educational Plan.

Matriculation Exemption Policy
All new students enrolling in credit classes are expected to participate in the Matriculation process to receive an earlier registration date.  However, you may be excused from participation in assessment, orientation, or education planning if you meet any of the criteria below:

  • Student has already earned an A.A./A.S. Degree or higher (U.S. accredited institutions only)
  • Student's educational goals do not include:

            Transfer to a college or university or

            Attainment of certificate, degree or basic skills (i.e., math, English, ESL)

            Career development

  • Student is enrolling in courses mandated by industry or licensure standards



All new and readmitted students must file an application for admission with the Office of Admissions and Records. The most convenient and efficient method of applying for admission is online at

Readmit Students
If you have previously completed classes at CCSF but did not attend classes during the last two semesters, (excluding summer) you are considered a readmit student. You must complete and submit a new application at

Currently enrolled students
If you are enrolled in classes in the current semester, you are considered a continuing student for the following semester. Therefore, you do not have to file an application. Please refer to the registration procedures at Step Five.


City College of San Francisco placement tests are administered to all new students who plan to enroll in credit classes, except those exempted (see below). These tests are one way of measuring students’ skills in English or ESL, reading and mathematics. Counselors and advisers will use these results along with other information to help students decide on a program of courses that best suits the students’ educational needs and interests. The test results are used for placement purposes only; they cannot be used to prevent any student from studying at CCSF.

CCSF placement test results achieved before March 1993 are no longer valid and cannot be used to meet course or program prerequisites. If your placement test results were achieved before March 1993, you must retake the tests if you wish to use the results to meet prerequisites.  Students must bring their CCSF ID number and photo identification (e.g. driver’s license, passport, or California l.D.) to the test. Students should arrive at least 15 minutes before the scheduled time in order to be seated. Once the test has started, no student will be admitted. For further information, call the Testing Office at (415) 239-3124. For a complete testing schedule, click here.

All students must take either the English or ESL placement test:
English (1 1/2 hours) — for native English speakers or those whose primary language is English.
ESL [English as a Second Language] (1 1/2 hours) — for those whose primary language is not English.

All students must begin Math placement testing with either the Arithmetic or Elementary Algebra Test:
• Arithmetic — for students who need to strengthen their basic arithmetic skills or who may be ready to study        Elementary Algebra.
• Elementary Algebra — for students who have studied beginning algebra and may be ready to study Intermediate or Advanced Algebra.
• College Level Math — for students who wish to enroll in Trigonometry, Calculus, or higher (Students must take Elementary Algebra Test first.)

Placement tests may be taken in a computerized or paper-pencil format.
• Computerized version: Seating for the computerized version is limited and is on a first-come first-served basis.
• Paper-pencil version: Students may attend the paper-pencil version of the tests on a drop-in basis, No reservation is required.

For dates and times of both computerized and paper-pencil testing, consult the CCSF Placement Testing Schedule available in the Admissions Office, Testing Office, or online by clicking here.

Should a new student take the English or ESL (English as Second Language) Test?
• Is English the first language you learned as a child?
• Did you complete most of your education in the English language?
• Do you usually speak English with your friends and/or co-workers?

If you answered NO to more than one of these questions, you should take the ESL (English as a Second Language) placement test. Even if you have been in this country for a number of years, you can benefit from ESL classes which are offered at many levels. Credit for most ESI classes can be applied to the Associate’s Degree: credit for some ESL classes can be transferred to four-year colleges and universities. If your results on the ESL placement test indicate that you will benefit from general English courses, we will advise you to enroll directly in general English.

Students may be excused from the placement tests if they:

  • Have an A.A. Degree or higher
  • Do not intend to transfer to a college or university or attain a certificate, degree
  • Do not intent to enroll in ESL, English, or Math classes or in other classes which have ESL, English, or Math prerequisites

You may obtain an Exemption Form from the Matriculation Office in Conlan Hall, Room 204; or online by clicking here. For further information, call (415) 239-3751 or email


Students may be waived from participating in placement testing if they have already taken specific tests and/or courses as indicated below. You may obtain the English and Math Placement Testing Waiver Form from the Matriculation Office or download the form from our website by clicking here. Submit completed form along with proof (transcripts, test scores, etc...) to the Matriculation Office in person or via mail at Conlan Hall Room 204, 50 Phelan Ave., San Francisco, CA 94112 or via email at

English Placement Test Waiver
Students may be excused from taking the English Placement Test and may demonstrate their eligibility for English 1A or 1B by submitting an English and Math Test Waiver form and attaching proof (e.g., transcripts, official test result reports). You can find the form and the criteria to waive English Placement Testing here.

Mathematics Placement Test

Students may be excused from taking the Mathematics Placement Test by submitting an English and Math Test Waiver form and attaching proof (e.g., transcripts, official test result reports). You can find the form and the criteria to waive Math Placement Testing here.

Test Retake Policy
The placement tests are used for initial placement only in English, ESL, and mathematics. Students may take the test two times within a testing cycle, but must wait two weeks before retaking the test. Students who have completed or withdrawn from ESL classes may retake the tests three months after the posting of the final semester grade for the class. Students currently enrolled in ESL who wish to jump classes in the sequences must contact the ESL coordinator at (415) 239-3427 or  


The orientation session will focus on enrollment procedures, test score interpretation and information about educational programs and student support services that students need to know upon enrollment. Consult the Orientation Schedule for the dates of the orientation sessions. See or complete Orientation online at


All new students are required to meet with a counselor prior to registering for classes, unless exempted. The counselor will assist them in selecting their classes.


Continuing Students will receive their registration appointments via e-mail. Students may also obtain a duplicate copy online at PLEASE NOTE: In order for new and readmit students to receive an appointment, they must complete STEP 1.

In an effort to go “green,” we are going paperless. All Admissions, Registration and Fee correspondence will be sent electronically. Please refer to for information regarding your official CCSF email account.

Registration Center Office (Smith Hall Room 118) Hours Monday-Thursday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Friday: 8 a.m.-2 p.m.


The Student Photo ID Office is located in Smith Hall Room 118, at the Ocean Campus. Hours of operation are posted and may be subject to change throughout the semester. Other campus locations will be announced in the future. You must bring a copy of your current course registration and one other form of photo identification such as driver’s license, state ID card, passport, etc. It is important that you carry your ID card with you at all times. The card is required for identification purposes when utilizing college resources such as the library or computer labs. Your initial card is free. Lost cards may be subject to a charge.


The Add period begins with the first day of instruction and continues through the first three weeks of the semester for regular full-term classes. Check the online time schedule, for the last day to add and a listing of other deadline dates for both full and short term courses - To add a course, go to the class you want to attend with your priority registration ticket. If there is space in the class you will be given a four digit add permit code from the instructor. Once you have this code and the five digit CRN number, you can complete the Add procedure using WEB4 or in person by filling out an Add/Drop Form and processing it with the Registration Center (Smith Hall 118).


You are solely responsible to drop or withdraw from classes to avoid any fee assessment or permanent grade notation on your permanent record. Check the online time schedule for a listing of deadline dates. You should  drop or withdraw through WEB4 (Monday-Sunday 6 a.m.-11:45 p.m.) commencing with the First Day of Instruction through the Last Day for Student or Instructor Initiated Withdrawal. To view the listing of deadline dates for full or short term courses,  go to


Students who have withdrawn from the same course four times and received a “W” on his/her record will not be allowed to register for the same course without filing a Petition for Exemption to Withdrawal Policy (California Code of Regulations, T5 Section 55024 (a))
Petition for Exemption to Withdrawal Policy is available in the Office of Student Affairs, Conlan Hall E107.