The CCSF Academic Senate is the body of all faculty - part time and full time, credit and non-credit, counselors, instructors, clinical social workers, librarians, nurse practicioners, etc. The Academic Senate holds plenary meetings (of the entire body) twice a year on Flex day and can meet at other times.
The Academic Senate Executive Council is the body of representatives elected each Spring to serve two-year terms (or, under some circumstances, one-year terms). The Executive Council meets about twice a month during the Fall and Spring semesters. Everyone is welcome to come to Executive Council meetings.
Academic Senate Officers for 2014-2015
- President Lillian Marrujo-Duck
- First Vice President Rosario Villasana
- Second Vice President Monica Bosson
- Secretary Dana Jae Labrecque
The Academic Senate has a physical office on the Ocean campus: Conlan Hall, Room E202. Our office is generally open 8:30-4:30 Monday-Friday and evenings/weekends by apppointment. Drop in to see us or call 415-239-3611.
Under the California State Education Code and Title 5 Regulations, the Academic Senate is charged with particular responsibility to make recommendations to the governing board in the following areas (the 10 + 1):
- Curriculum including establishing prerequisites and placing courses within disciplines
- Degree and certificate requirements
- Grading policies
- Educational program development
- Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success
- District and college governance structures, as related to faculty roles
- Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes, including self-study and annual reports
- Policies for faculty professional development activities
- Processes for program review
- Processes for institutional planning and budget development
- Other academic and professional matters as mutually agreed upon between the governing board and the academic senate.
It is the policy of our district (PM 2.07. I.G.) for the Board of Trustees to rely primarily upon the advice and judgment of the Academic Senate for these areas. These are also the areas under the purview of the statewide Academic Senate of California Community Colleges in Sacramento.
On all kinds of College policies, we work collaboratively with the representative bodies for other constituent groups at City College: