SUGGESTIONS & STRATEGIES FOR DEPARTMENT CHAIRS
- Encourage faculty to work together to choose textbooks (to increase the negotiation power with publishers and make it easier for the bookstore to get better rates).
- Make sure all your faculty get textbook choices/orders in by the deadlines (this deadline allows our bookstore to get the best prices on used books).
- Make sure all faculty in your department who are willing have placed copies on reserve in the library (if copies unavailable from publishers, consider using department funds to purchase copies). (More information here: Library Reserve.)
- For classes that are unassigned by textbook deadlines, consider placing the order as Department Chair -- and using the same book as other instructors or the same book that was used the previous time the course was offered.
- Please discuss textbook affordability at your department meetings (especially the FLEX event).
- Create a list of all department classes and their textbook prices. Bring it to the department meeting. You can make this list by going to the Enrollments page on the CCSF website (through the Office of Scheduling) and clicking on book for each class.
- Consider developing a task force within your department to hold meetings to discuss the issue more and strategize ways to address it specifically in your own department.
- Create a stockpile of used textbooks (donated by previous instructors or students) for study halls and study use.
See examples of what's happening in other departments.
Want to share your own examples?
Please submit your own quotes and examples through our online feedback form.
Want to hear more?
Review COMMENTS, EXPERIENCES, AND PERSPECTIVES from the CCSF community