R F 82 Interior Plant Identification (3)
Lec-52.5, field trips
Credit, Degree Applicable
Identification of indoor/tropical house plants used in commercial floristry and horticulture, with emphasis on post-harvest care and handling, wholesale and retail pricing, packaging and uses in interior plantscapes, floral design and display.
Offered on occasion
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Identify, by botanical and common name, varieties of indoor/tropical plants currently sold in the floral industry.
- Outcome 2: Demonstrate correct care and culture of indoor/tropical plants including watering, fertilizing, common pests and controls, potting and re-potting plants and propagation techniques
- Outcome 3: Assess plant quality and suitability when purchasing indoor/tropical plants for retail and rental purposes.
- Outcome 4: Plan and create floral designs, interior landscapes and displays using indoor/tropical plants.
- Outcome 5: Decorate, package, price and sell indoor/tropical plants.
- Outcome 6: Identify and describe leaf parts, flower parts, seed and stem structures.
- Outcome 7: Identify elements offertilizers and potting soils for indoor plants
- Outcome 8: Identify and propagate green and blooming houseplants using several different methods of vegetative propagation.