R F 81 Flower and Foliage Identification/Culture and Care (2)
Credit, Degree Applicable
Identification of cut flowers and foliage used in commercial floristry, with emphasis on post-harvest care and handling, vase life, wholesale packaging, pricing, and uses in floral design.
Offered on occasion
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Identify approximately 100 floral specimen used in commercial floristry, with correct botanical and common names.
- Outcome 2: Identify, define and utilize safely, product and correct methods used in the postharvest care for each specimen.
- Outcome 3: Describe the proper use of each specimen as it pertains to commercial floristry.
- Outcome 4: Process and display cut flowers.
- Outcome 5: Prepare floral materials for transport.
- Outcome 6: Identify specimen wholesale sources, distribution methods, origin of product and seasonal wholesale price fluctuations.
- Outcome 7: Purchase floral materials at the wholesale level for flower shop use.