Using Online Job Listings: Other Information about the Job
TALK ABOUT IT
What other information in addition to the job title, job duties, job requirements, and personal qualities can you find in job listings?
What are some benefits that employers can offer?
READ ABOUT IT
Other Information about the Job
As you learned in lesson 2.1, employers can include other information about the job in online job listings. In this lesson, we will look at the
language / keywords for this information.
Online job listings sometimes have a lot of information about the company, such as the size of the company, the location, company
growth, and what the company does. It is useful to read this information to find out if the company is a good
match for you. For instance, if you want to work in a small company, you can check for the size of the
companies that are hiring. Also, if a company is growing, you know that they will need to hire a lot of people, so there may be more
opportunities at these companies.
You can also find other basic information about the job, such as:
Here is an example.
- the position type or job status
- the work schedule
- the salary and benefits
- opportunities for promotion
Match the phrases on the left to a phrase with the same meaning on the right. Type the letter of the correct answer on the line.
Then click check answers.
|4.||competitive salary & benefits package|
|7.||salary based on years of experience|
|9.||on call schedule|
|10.||Equal Opportunity Employer|
|13.||full medical coverage|
|16.||benefits after 90 days||
a. paid training
b. part-time work; you work only when the company needs you
c. career advancement opportunities
d. EOE; the employer hires a diverse staff
e. usually 35-40 hours a week
f. paid time off
g. 401K pension plan with matching contributions
h. not permanent; lasting a short time
i. salary DOE (depends on experience)
j. benefits after 3 month probationary period
k. tuition reimbursement
l. medical/dental/vision insurance
m. excellent compensation and benefits
n. fuel surcharge
o. the company hires a diverse staff—
males, females, disabled persons, and veterans
p. salaried sick leave
Scan the listing to find the information. Copy and paste the information into the correct boxes below. When you finish, click on check answers
FITNESS ASSISTANTS NEEDED (Berkeley/Oakland)|
Reply to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Date: 2007-07-26, 9:16AM PDT
We are FitnessRocks -- we currently have clubs throughout the Bay Area and plan on opening more clubs this year. FitnessRockss is a co-ed circuit-only club, which focuses on service. We are under serious planning to make these facilities the first of hundreds of
FitnessRocks to come in the near future: which means it's a great opportunity for us and an even bigger opportunity for you. We are looking for motivated and talented Fitness Assistants at our Berkeley and Oakland location.
As a Fitness Assistant your responsibilities will include:
What we offer:
- Member Check in: greet members and guests, scan membership cards
- Book appointments and answer telephone inquiries
- Instruct members on how to use the equipment
- Conduct fitness orientations, instruct and assist members on how to use the equipment
- Routinely clean equipment and club upkeep and maintenance. Log facility and equipment issues/repairs in the Maintenance Binder
- Provide guest tours, sell memberships (change lives!)
What are the benefits of helping people live better?
- Competitive wages
- Free membership
- The opportunity to make a difference in people's lives
Part-time positions available for Fitness Assistants, flexible hours. Please email resumes to email@example.com. Please indicate which location you would be interested in working.
- Career Growth
- Great Training Programs
- Flexible Schedules
- Competitive Compensation
- Fun & Motivating Environment
- Great Employee Rates!!
- Retail Discounts
- Employee Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Vacation and Sick Pay)
- and a FREE MEMBERSHIP at all locations!
Compensation: $10 + commission
This is a part-time job.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
||Salary and Benefits|
|Job Status/Position Type
Activity C: Class Project
- Survey 3 or more job listings for your job goal. Look for the other information about the job:
- Company information
- Job Status/Position Type
- Work Schedule
- Salary and Benefits
- On a piece of paper, list any new words or phrases you find in the categories above.
- Discuss the new words and phrases you found with the class.