Teaching, Learning, and Technology Roundtable (TLTR)
Approved Minutes of meeting: February 3, 2003
Submitted by Christine Arata and Janet Willett
______________________________________________________________
16 Present:
Interim chairs: Janet Willett and Brian Ellison. Christine Arata, Morris Bibliowicz, Abby Bogomolny, Patricia Delich, Bob Gabriner, John Kennedy, Steve Levinson, Yevgeniya Malamud, Francine Podenski, Doug Re, James Rogers, Nadine Rosenthal, Barbara Stewart, Liz Stewart

The meeting was brought to order at 2:15pm.

Selection of Co-Chairs:
The TLTR decided to continue the tradition of having one administrator and one faculty co-chair the meeting. After discussion Janet Willett (faculty) and Brian Ellison (administrator) were elected to serve two-year terms.

The focus of this meeting was discussion of purpose and future direction of TLTR, as per the following topics:

Tech policy vis a vis District budgetary constraints
This discussion centered on distance learning students vs. traditional students and costs. Barbara Stewart stated that the numbers indicate distance learning is cost-effective, especially considering facilities cost savings. Janet Willett will bring a cost breakdown to the next meeting.

Potential Working Groups
An example of a previous working group supported by the Rountable is the Computer Safety working group headed by Steve Levinson and Nadine Rosenthal. Nadine noted that it began with staff having problems with wrists and arms. Steve researched through various listservs to gather information, and graphic arts students created a brochure on appropriate ergonomic use of computers and furniture. The brochure was sent out to all the labs and is still in use today. The working group disbanded after their purpose was fulfilled. Francine Podenski pointed out that there are already working groups that TLTR could join. Discussion followed on areas of interest.

Suggested Working Group 1: Assessment of Classroom Technology Use
There was discussion on the biennial Faculty Technology Use survey reported at last meeting by Steve Levinson. The assessment tool for the faculty tech survey is being redesigned because it is now inadequate and outdated in some areas. Discussion followed on the need to rewrite the survey and make it relevant to our current situation, asking “What prevents people from using technology in new ways?” This question can be posed more widely by going to other campuses as discussed at the last meeting. Barbara Stewart proposed that the TLTR take on projects that have a goal that can be reached at the end of each semester.

Discussion followed about assessing what is expected to be accomplished with rollout of new computers, how this needs to be communicated to staff, and the need to address faculty websites and why they are good for students and faculty. It seems likely that assessment instruments can be addressed without the need for a working group and rather by having any future tech assessments be presented to the TLTR for review and input before their release, as in the past.
Surveys having importance to the TLTR include the ongoing online and telecourse student surveys (at the beginning and end of each semester), the aforementioned biennial Faculty Technology Use Survey, and the State Chancellor’s office surveys on distance learning.

Suggested working Group 2: Further evaluation of ITV, Intercampus video, Teleclasses, and the Tegrity Learning system purchased by the College
The Roundtable supported the idea discussed at prior TLTR meeting that we start meeting at other campuses, that there is a need for interconnectivity projects, and a need to construct web templates to help faculty increase learning via websites, taking advantage of the benefits offered by the Internet as applied to learning.

Francine Podenski reported that the College would be ready to support an interactive video pilot by next spring and that campuses are already wired. She suggested a trip to Cosumnes College and Sacramento City College to see how that technology has been used there. Faculty seeing a class in action might be more stimulated to develop pilot courses. Brian Ellison will arrange with P.E. Department to get buses to take staff off-site and will check on release time to attend field trip. Francine will publish a notice of field trip in City Currents, which will most probably happen in March or April. Since staff has visited these sites in the past, it was decided that sending interested, potential faculty would be the best purpose of a trip.
Brian Ellison commented that it is the Roundtable’s role to help inform faculty of how technology used appropriately and effectively can be an adjunct to doing a better job in the classroom. Some suggestions for the TLTR to do were demonstrating what technology can do, finding success stories on campuses of faculty already using it, and having events advertising technology in action.

Suggested working Group 3: Coming laptop deployment
Doug Re reported that there have been 188 requests for laptops and 135 for Macs, that Nick Chang will be spending time with laptop users, and that the TLTR should choose a campus with ESL and see what the issues with wireless and web are. Francine Podenski recommended an end-of-deployment party. Laptop deployment will not happen until later this semester so any working group could be put off until later.

Departmental involvement and Neighborhood campus meetings
The next meeting is planned for the Downtown campus. Morris Bibliowicz will reserve a room. The meeting will be publicized on bulletin boards, with fliers, by emailing staff at Downtown campus, etc. Suggested discussion topics for Downtown campus meeting were the rollout, how faculty are using their new computers, laptop use for part-time instructors, who can use desktops of the full-time instructors. It was discussed and decided that TLTR participants who couldn’t go downtown could participate through video conferencing in Rosenberg 505.

Phone System Update (Doug Re)
Doug reported the coming phone system is a huge cost savings with an eventual cost decrease of at least $500,000, current spending being $1 million a year. Doug says the interconnectivity will not be available for Fort Mason nor the Airport campus at this time. A Lambda consultant was hired to develop the RFP, more staff will be required as the use of Pac Bell is eliminated, and extra telephone technicians will need to be hired.

Overhead projector resolution-discussion

Janet tabled the item for the next meeting.

Adjourned at 4:10.

Spring 2003 meetings
~Monday March 3, 2-4:00: Downtown Campus videoconference room AND Ocean Campus videoconference room (Rosenberg 505)

~Monday April 7: TBA
~May (TBA)

Tentative Agenda
Possible Intercampus two-way class or Teleclass field trip
Rollout and projector accessibility
Laptop use accelerating teaching in the classroom.
Faculty use of new computers
Future-New accreditation standards and increasing student learning