psyc 2
psyc 3

Psychological Services

What is Personal Counseling?

As you know, academic counseling is available on campus to help you figure out what classes you need to pursue your academic and career goals.

In contrast, Psychological Services at the Student health Center offers personal counseling to provide a confidential, safe place where you can work on your concerns and we can help you deal with whatever’s getting in the way of living your life in the most fulfilling way.

Common Misconceptions:

Some people mistakenly assume there must be something “wrong” with them in order to seek counseling. Talking with a personal counselor does not mean that you have serious psychological problems – it just means that you would like to talk to someone (besides your friend, partner, or parents) about what’s going on in your life.


Common Issues:

Students bring a broad range of issues they would like to work on, including:

  • Relationship conflicts (with partner, parents, instructor, boss, or roommates)
  • Loss (various types)
  • Romantic breakups or disappointments
  • Problems with studying, including time management and procrastination
  • Feeling bad about oneself / low self-esteem
  • Depression or anxiety
  • Women’s or men’s issues
  • Survival struggles
  • Cultural and ethnic identity
  • Foreign student, immigrant, and refugee concerns
  • Trauma
  • Previous (or current) emotional, physical, or sexual abuse
  • Body image or problems with food
  • Questions about alcohol and other substances
  • Gay, Lesbian, bisexual, or transgender issues
  • Various adjustment issues                                                                                                                                        

Cost & Eligibility

Who's Eligible, and What's the Cost?

There is no fee for any student currently enrolled in a credit class. However, you must call to cancel any appointment you are not able to make – no-shows count against your total visits, and can result in denial of services.

The Counselors:

What Kinds of Counselors are Available?

Our staff of female, male, Asian, white/Euro, African-American, gay, Chinese-fluent, as well as American Sign Language-fluent therapists, are:

  • Licensed Psychologists
  • Licensed Clinical Social Workers
  • Post-Masters Interns, Post-Doctoral Fellows supervised by staff.                                                                           

Counseling Services Include:

  • Assessment of current situation may include counseling or referrals to community services for longer-term work. 
  • Short-term individual and couple’s counseling
  • Support groups dealing with a wide range of issues --  call early in the semester to sign up for current offerings of support groups!
  • Check out our NEW Spring 2014 support groups and workshops.                                                                      


Can Anyone Else Find Out I’m Getting Counseling?

All of our services are confidential. This means that we need your permission to speak with anyone outside the clinic about you. We cannot even tell anyone that you get services here. In certain exceptional circumstances, we are required by law to break confidentiality, such as: suspected child or elder abuse, danger to self or threats against others, or if a court has issued a subpoena for information.

Great! How Do I Sign Up?

Call Philip at (415) 452-5386 or come by Psychological Services to make an appointment. Psychological Services is in the Student Health Center, HC-100, 1st floor (northwest corner of campus, near Phelan and Judson).