The CalWORKs Program at City College of San Francisco supports students who are currently on or in transition off of cash aid/welfare. We provide coordinated services to eligible students to help them achieve long-term self-sufficiency. You are welcome to contact us with any questions.
We serve 4 groups of students:
County Referred CalWORKs (Non-SIP)
You are a County Referred CalWORKs Non-SIP if you are on cash aid/welfare and are referred to City College as part of your Welfare-to-Work Plan.
If you are referred to City College by your Employment Specialist, please call to make an appointment with a counselor at (415) 452-5700.
Make sure to bring the contact referral form from HSA to your first meeting.
You and your CalWORKs Counselor will:
- Discuss your educational and employment goals
- Develop an Education Plan
- Work on the admissions and enrollment process
- Continue to meet two times every semester
- Talk about services that are available to you
- Discuss your requirements for continuing eligibility
- Monitor your progress until completion
Self Referred CalWORKs/Self-Initiated Program (SIP)
You are a SIP if you started the school enrollment process before applying for cash aid/welfare. To be eligible for cash aid/welfare, you must have dependent children, have a low income, and meet other requirements that are described by HSA.
SIPs are guaranteed education as their CalWORKs welfare-to-work activity.
To become a SIP:
- Sign up for community college through Admissions and Records.
- Then, make an appointment with the HSA
- 170 Otis Street San Francisco, CA 94103 (415) 557-5000
- Call our office at (415) 452-5700 to make an appointment with a Counselor or if you have any questions
- Are a former welfare recipient
- Are employed
- Have been off cash aid/welfare for no longer than 2 years
- Need to upgrade your skills to keep or advance at your job
Please speak with your Employment Specialist to make sure your education is approved so that you can receive the support services available to you.
You are a PAES student if you receive General Assistance and your Employment Specialist referred you to City College as part of your General Assistance and Employment Plan.
As a PAES participant, you will attend City College to receive vocational training and to upgrade your skills.
If you are referred to City College of San Francisco by your Employment Specialist, please call (415) 452-5700 to schedule an appointment with a counselor.
Make sure to bring the referral form from HSA to your first meeting.
If you would like to know more about the PAES Program please contact their office at
1235 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94103