What is Service Learning?
Service learning is a teaching and learning method that promotes student learning through active participation in meaningful and planned service experiences in the community that have a focus on critical reflective thinking as well as personal and civic responsibility. Service Learning can be either connected to course content or co-curricular in nature.
Benefits of Service Learning
- Emphasizes active learning in different environments.
- Allows students to see and experience the relationship between theory and practice.
- Links academic study to community service through structured reflection.
- Engages students in meaningful service benefiting the community.
- Provides students with opportunities to use newly acquired skills and knowledge in real-life situations
Service Learning at CCSF
The Office of Mentoring and Service Learning offers Service Learning opportunities in a myriad of ways. We sponsor several academic courses with service learning components. We also sponsor campus-based service projects. Finally, our newest program sponsors stuednts to complete civic engagement internships in the San Francisco community. More information on Service Learning at CCSF.