Health Education Department
Welcome to Health Education
Welcome to the CCSF Health Education Department. We are proud to offer a wide variety of classes that meet graduation and transfer requirements as well as courses designed to train students for careers in public health and social services fields. Our work is grounded in public health and social justice perspectives, and an abiding commitment to eliminating persistent health inequalities or unequal rates of illness and death among communities. Our faculty are dedicated to supporting your academic and career success. Please visit the links provided on our website to learn more about our classes and programs.
The Health Education Department is committed to educating Bay Area residents and communities, providing resources for work and study in the field of health. We understand that the health of individuals and communities is determined by the complex interaction of biological, political, economic, social and cultural factors. We are committed to promoting individual, family and community health, advocating for social justice and the elimination of health inequalities.
The Department offers a Health Education Major, wide range of courses and certificate training programs to meet the needs of diverse students and local communities.
The Health Education Department provides several vocational certificate programs for students interested in health-related careers.
- Community Health Worker Certificate Program
- Community Mental Health Certificate Program
- Drug and Alcohol Studies Certificate Program
- Health Care Interpreter Certificate Program
- Infectious Disease Prevention In Priority Populations Certificate Program
- Post-Prison Health Worker Certificate Program
- Youth Worker Certificate Program
We also collaborate with a number of other departments and programs:
- Trauma Prevention & Recovery Certificate Program (in Interdisciplinary Studies)
- Sexual Health Educator Certificate (in Women's Studies)
- Child Development Youth Worker (in Child Development)
- Medical Evaluation Assistant (MEA) Certificate (in Health Care Technology)
- English for Health Professionals (ESL 20, 23 and 26)
- Welcome Back Center for Internationally-trained Health Workers (http://welcomebackinitiative.org/sf/)
We also offer a variety of classes for students interested in learning how to enhance their own wellness, learn new skills, prepare for transfer or explore a particular topic in greater depth. These courses include:
- Introduction to Health and Wellness
- Introduction to Public Health
- Women’s Health
- Men’s Health
- Tai Chi
- Health and Aging
- Health Education and Prevention
- Harm Reduction and Health
- Hepatitis ABCs
- Introduction to Trauma and Recovery
- Violence as a Public Health Issue
- And many more!