Certified Medical Assistants (CMAs) have a great amount of variety in their jobs and are cross-trained to perform many administrative and clincal duties. Duties vary from office to office depending on the location, size, and specialty.
Administrative duties may include:
- Typing, transcription, and computer applications
- Greeting patients and answering telephones
- Scheduling appointments
- Coding and completing insurance forms
Clinical duties vary by state but include:
- Taking medical histories and vital signs
- Preparing patients for examinations
- Assisting the physician during examinations
- Authorizing prescription refills
- Giving injections
- Performing electrocardiograms and selective laboratory test
- Drawing blood
Visit the American Association of Medical Assistants web site for more information about the profession of Medical Office Assisting.