History of City College of San Francisco

CCSF was founded in 1935 in response to demand for a public institution to serve both academic and vocational needs of students as an integral part of San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD). The College was first housed in temporary facilities with an enrollment of 1,074 students and 74 faculty members. The College rapidly expanded and held classes in 22 locations. In1937, the San Francisco Board of Education approved a building plan for theCollege which included a 56-acre site of what is now the Ocean Campus.

Beginning with the opening of Science Hall in 1940, and with federal and state grants, the College expanded and built many new buildings during the1950s and 1960s. In 1970, the College separated from SFUSD. The College maintained these neighborhood education programs composed primarily of noncredit courses. With rapid growth, the College District subsequently formed two separate divisions: one for credit courses on the Ocean Campus and another for noncredit courses offered throughout San Francisco. The two divisions merged in 1990 into a single City College of San Francisco.

With approved bond measures in 1997, 2001, and 2005, totaling $491.3million, the College renovated expanded and developed new buildings and facilities throughout San Francisco. The College currently serves over 85,000 students (credit and noncredit) throughout the city through the main Campus, nine centers, and a multitude of neighborhood sites.

 

 

CCSF's principal locations