The purpose of this guide is to give students a starting point when searching for information on ethnic cuisine. Always ask for assistance if you cannot find the information you are seeking.
Examples of Library of Congress Subject Headings used in the online library catalog. When conducting a subject search, the following terminology is preferred:
- Use "Cookery, International" not "cuisine" or "ethnic."
- Use "Cookery, Indian" for "Cookery, Native American."
- Use "Cookery, Indic" for "Cookery, India."
- Use "Cookery, Latin American" for "Cookery, South American."
- Use "Afro-American Cookery" or "Cookery, American" for "Black Cookery."
- Also use "Cookery, name of country" for "Cookery, Mediterranean."
- Also use "Vegetarian Cookery" for fresh vegetable recipes from other cultures.
- Also use "Cookery, name of ingredient" for other cultures' recipes.
Sally's Place: Focus on Ethnic Cuisine
A directory organized alphabetically by country name. Find interesting recipes and food histories.
Ethnic and Cultural Food Pyramids
Different parts of the world have different food pyramids that suit the eating patterns of people. The and Food and Nutrition Information Center provides a look at several of these food pyramids.
The Global Gastronomer: Cuisines of the World
This site is devoted to links to recipes, food history, and food lore of all regions of the globe, with the goal of discovering, sharing, and appreciating the diverse tastes of all the world's people.
An international organization which promotes gastronomic culture.