City College Logo International Student ProgramsCity College of San Francisco
Academic Program
SF Bay Area
Academic Studies

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Do I need an F-1 student visa to study in the Academic Program?

Yes, you do. Students accepted into the Academic Program need an F-1 visa.

2. Is there an application deadline?

Yes, please refer to the How to Apply section for upcoming application deadlines.

3. Do I need to have a TOEFL score before enrolling in your program?

Yes, you must have a TOEFL score of 473 paper-based, iBT score of 52, or an IELTS score of 5.5. If you do not meet at least one of these scores, you can apply for Conditional Admission.

4. Do you offer scholarships or financial aid?

A small number of scholarships are available to international students who have completed their first semester at City College. International students are not eligible for financial aid. You need to have proof of sufficient funds to cover your expenses during your stay here before we can issue the I-20.

5. Can I work while I am studying?

Students on an F-1 visa attending the Academic Program are eligible to work on-campus only.

6. Do I need medical insurance before I start school?

Yes, you do. Please note that as of June 1, 2012, all International Students studying at City College of San Francisco (CCSF) are required to purchase health insurance through CCSF's group plan. Details can be found HERE.

7. Is the mandatory health service fee the same as health insurance?

No, it is not. The health service fee is to allow you to use the health center on campus for minor health problems only.

8. Do you have any additional fees besides the course tuition?

Yes, besides the $211 per unit Nonresident Tuition Fee, there is an enrollment fee of $46 per unit and a health service fee of $17 per semester. There is also a Capital outlay fee of $7 per unit. Students registering their classes using the CCSF online registration will be charged a one time $3 user fee.

NOTE: Fees are subject to change without notice. Additional fees may apply.

9. How can I pay the school fees?

All fees can be paid with a check or credit card (online or at the Registration Office) at the time of course registration.

10. How long does it take to get the I-20?

The office of the International Education Programs processes the I-20 within 15 working days from the date all required documents are received. After that, it can be sent by regular mail or picked up at the Internatioanl Students office. Depending on the destination, however, it may take longer for you to receive the I-20 and acceptance documents by regular mail. You may consider requesting express mail service (DHL) for an extra $75 US dollars if the delivery address is outside of the U.S. You will be responsible for the extra fee.

11. Do you have housing? If not, what are the options?

Finding a place to live in San Francisco can be challenging. City College of San Francisco does not provide any on-campus housing. If you are in need of a place to stay, we recommend that you contact our office. We can inform you of the various options on housing and on how to find an appropriate place to live.

Students may live with carefully selected families who provide a furnished single room with two meals per day. There are also residence clubs in San Francisco which can provide private or shared rooms and two meals a day.

Information on housing options such as homestays, apartment rentals, and residence clubs is available upon request from our IEP office. A bulletin board with rental postings and other housing information is also maintained in the International Student Programs office in Cloud Hall 212. For specific information, please click here.

12. When should I arrive at City College of San Francisco for the Academic Program?

According to the U. S. immigration law, new F-1 students cannot enter the U.S.A. more than 30 days before the program start date. The International Student Admissions and Records Office will send you a notice regarding the date you should arrive for testing, orientation, and counseling along with your I-20.

13. How much will the books cost?

The average cost of one text book ranges from $100 - $350.

14. Can I take a vacation while I am a student?

A student in F-1 status in the Academic Program who has studied full-time in the U.S. for a full semester is eligible to take a vacation during the break period between semesters or summer, provided the student will be continuing his/her studies the following semester. The student should follow the list of travel requirements, which can be found in the International Students Center, Cloud Hall 212.

15. How long can I stay in the U.S. after I complete my studies?

Students who have completed their studies in the U.S. are eligible to remain in the U.S. for up to 60 days after the last day of studies. Before they return to their home countries, many students choose to travel in the U.S. during this 60-day period.

Academic Studies