Where do I get information?

Tandy Iles


Drug & Alcohol Studies Program

415.452.5157 fax


Craig Wenzl

Associate Director

Drug & Alcohol Studies Program                                   

415.452.5157 fax

Mailing Address:
Tandy Iles

Drug and Alcohol Certificate
Health Education and Community Health Studies Department
City College of San Francisco
50 Phelan Avenue, Mailbox C-363
San Francisco, CA 94112

Walk-in Office:
Cloud Hall, Room 336

Drug & Alcohol Program


JOIN OUR YAHOO GROUP!  www.yahoogroups.com/group/ccsf-drug


What is the Drug & Alcohol Certificate?
This is a 38.5-unit CAADE (California Association for Alcohol & Drug Educators) accredited Certificate that will prepare students to work as credentialed counselors in Drug & Alcohol Programs.  This program is designed for working adults, new and returning students. The Drug and Alcohol Certificate is funded by the San Francisco Department of Public Health /Community Behavioral Health Service (CBHS).

Why is CAADE Accreditation important?
Accreditation by the California Association of Alcohol/Drug Educators (CAADE) is important because the California Department of Alcohol & Drug Programs now requires all Drug & Alcohol counselors to be certified within five years of registering with a certifying organization.

What do Drug & Alcohol Counselors do?
Drug & Alcohol counselors perform many duties of which the following are but a few: provide clinical evaluations, develop treatment plans, provide referrals, coordinate client-centered services, provide individual, group or family counseling and provide community education and outreach.

What kind of job can I get once I complete the program?
Drug & Alcohol counselors work in variety arenas such as:  inpatient and outpatient treatment programs, residential treatment programs, jail treatment programs, juvenile services, homeless programs, mental health services, harm reduction centered programs, maternal-child health programs, and senior services.

How much will I earn in this career?
The average starting salary for a Drug & Alcohol counselor in San Francisco ranges from $30,000-$40,000 depending on the agency and experience.

How long will the program take?
Full time students can complete the certificate in 4-6 semesters. Most people in our program work full time and take longer to complete the certificate.

Are there prerequisites?
Yes.  Students must take and successfully complete (with a grade of "C" or higher) Health 100: Introduction to Drug and Alcohol Studies.  This course provides an overview of the Drug and Alcohol counseling field as well as an orientation to the requirements of the CCSF Drug and Alcohol program.

What is required of me?
This is a vocational program that requires significant time commitment, discipline, stability, maturity and predictability. As part of the program, you will be require to complete 250 internship hours for CAADE certification.

When do classes start?
Classes begin every semester.  Refer to City College Class Schedule for specific dates and times. After completing Health 100, classes must be taken sequentially.

How do I get into the program?
First, you need to complete and submit a CCSF admissions application either online, by mail, or in person.  The Admission & Records office is located in Conlan Hall room 107, 50 Phelan Avenue.  You must have a registration appointment ticket in order to register for classes.  Once you have your date, you can register for Health 100.

Where will classes be held?
Classes are held at the Ocean Campus (Phelan Avenue).

What time of day are classes offered?
All required classes are held after 4 p.m. During the third and fourth semesters, students will be required to complete 250 hours at an internship site.  For more information, you can obtain a catalog listing and description in the Drug & Alcohol Certificate Office at City College of San Francisco, Ocean Campus, Cloud Hall, Room 336.

What can I expect to spend?
City College of San Francisco classes are $20 per unit plus a student health fee each semester. (Community College prices are subject to change.) Telephone registration costs an additional fee. You can expect to spend approximately $865 for the Certificate program.

When and where do I request a Certificate?
After completion of the 38.5 units, you must obtain and complete a Petition for Certificate of Achievement form from the Admissions office, Conlan Hall, Room E107, by the deadline published in the College Catalog and Schedule of Classes.



site design by
Karen Shuster & Jacquie Barnick